Product Development Design Engineer 2021-12
Altimate Medical (AMI) is seeking a Product Development Design Engineer (“PDDE”) who is looking to join a small engineering team and partner with cross functional team-members to improve the lives of the customers we serve. As a PDDE, you have the opportunity to make an incredible impact on the lives we touch with the products we make. We are looking for a team-member who is interested in a long-term career path and willing to grow and learn.
We are a team who works closely to share ideas, brainstorm and come up with innovative ideas and solutions. In order to do this, a key element of the position is the ability to take critical feedback from customers and work to understand, discern and formulate what the customer wants and/or needs.
AMI believes in what we are doing. We strive to carry out our mission, vision and values in all we do and say each and every day. Our customers matter and deserve only the best we can give. Provided and when aligned with pandemic safety measures, this is an in-office position due to the face-to-face team synergy to get the development juices flowing. Relocation assistance can be provided. If quality and safety are an integral part of your design process, AMI may be the place for you.
The PDDE must have a strong mechanical aptitude (i.e., curiosity of how things work, mechanisms, assemblies) with a strong penchant toward visual design, together with the ability to visually communicate ideas through CAD, graphic design, and manual arts. The PDDE will need to “see” things before they are made reality and envision multiple components operating in layers of functionality, as well as grasp concepts applied to one design and incorporate them into different applications.” As a PDDE, your contributions will be meaningful as you work toward a common goal, sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience with and gleaning information from, your where necessary.
- Brainstorming and collaborating with team members and other departments on various design and problem-solving tasks related to new and existing products.
- Developing high level conceptual ideas based on a framework of mechanical requirements.
- Designing elements, components, and structures that will make up a product. From the base frame to the upholstery accessories and everything in between.
- Determining material selection, tolerances, finishes, etc.
- Design work will include many different materials and many available processes, as well as exploring new methods to add to our repertoire.
- Partner daily with a team of other professionals in a well-equipped office using Solidworks CAD platform, in-house 3D printing, and an extensively equipped in-house prototype shop.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BSME, Industrial Design degree, or equivalent work experience considered.
- 3+ years of active 3D CAD modeling experience. (Solidworks preferred).
- Simulation (FEA) proficiency or prior experience would be a plus.
- Several years of equipment/consumer product design would be a plus.
- Strength in Industrial Design is strongly preferred. Design, elements, aesthetics, ergonomics, etc.
- Proficiency in basic computer skills. Word, Excel, etc. Ability to learn various new software, design process system, etc.
- Manual sketching and drawing skills are a plus.
- Good understanding of Design for Manufacturability and Assembly or the ability to observe and understand various techniques used in our design applications and to further develop from there.
- Good communication skills, verbal and written. Must be able to articulate both actual and hypothetical complex ideas, well-rounded understanding of basic technical terms associated with design, engineering, manufacturing processes, and materials.
- Aptitude for learning and retaining new information, skills, industry specific material, etc.
- Team mentality, comfortable with taking direction and sharing ideas freely in a professional environment.
- Proficient in internet research. I.e., researching competitive product and organizing data into a meaningful format, spreadsheet, etc.
- Potential for advancing into taking the lead position in a project or assignment and planning logical steps and tasks necessary to reach a goal with a pre-determined result within an allowable timeframe. (Project coordination/management)
- Organized, pays attention to detail, owns mistakes.